Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Hot In The City

It's getting to be exam time here in Mauritania and I find myself with fun new challenges. I will not actually be giving my exams and all four of them are at the same time. This means less and more work for me. Less because after Thursday Spring Break starts, I shudder at the thought of Mauritanians Gone Wild, and I have two weeks off. More because I have to make sure that the teachers giving my exams do it correctly. Only one of them speaks English and there is a chance one doesn't even speak French. I know that the class will be quiet and students will more then likely be timely, teachers here are not known for leniency. I know that this is their system and I am imposing my desires on their normal situations but I want to be there to support my students. I will be spending 15 min in each class each hour finding cheaters, spell checking the teachers writing, and answering questions.


There are a lot of things that are in the midst of changing right now, our 2nd year PCV's are preparing to go home and we are becoming very excited to receive the new class that will be coming in June. This transition reminds us how short our time here is and how much of a difference one motivated person can make.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

You guys look gorgeous- especially the wife. So no spoonfeeding students? Well that one major difference between Mauritania schools and the USA.
Kilian