Sunday, October 11, 2009

Don't Call Me White

Integrating to our new site has proved to be far more difficult than in Kaedi. Our former home was a city that was home to Peace Corps training for 8 years and therefore they were quite used to the pale people walking around and for the most part ignored us.

Essau is a different story. The Gambia is subject to a great deal of tourists, these tourists have created a culture where the "toubabs" are givers of things; pens, candy, or money. They do it in rude ways, throwing the items into busy roads to avoid the scrambling children. In turn the people here are rude to the people of European decent. No matter how many times I am told that it is not an insult, a quick judgment on who I am based only on the amount of pigment in my skin is an insult. It's racist, and I hate it. This term and mentality was applied in RIM but was faded when they realized I was not giving anything. We doubt it will happen any time soon, all white people look the same.

The idea that this is offensive is an American moral standard, we do not appreciate beggars, and anything that singles another person out only because of ethnicity is wrong to us. I am judged only on my pallor and not on the strength of my mind or the convictions in my soul.

Many people do not like this behavior and it is I possess the problem because I refuse to let this part of me be compromised.

The people I work with are kind and walk around the issue of being white as to not offend me. We are slowly initiating my projects at my schools, and I hope to actually make an impact.

I have, as promised, posted pictures the album is titled First Month, The Gambia. I know it's not witty, it's late and I'm tired. I hope you enjoy them.

p.s. Don't worry about my comfort level, this is normal here. I think that the whole toubab thing is a personal battle I have to foster ethnic tolerance here in The Gambia.

0 comments: