Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Sweetness

It is the eve before Thanksgiving and I think that I will be too busy to come by and do some interwebbing so here it is my Thanksgiving post. This one will be different then the usual yearly soap box standing and ranting.

We all by now know that we stole our home in America from others who probably stole it from others and everybody thought it was a great idea and that the god of their choice supported it.

This year I am thankful for so much.

I will start with how thankful I am for my bad days. The days that I am wrought with despair and think what the heck am I doing here, those days make the rest of them sweeter then high fructose corn syrup. I am surrounded by jaw dropping poverty, intense hunger, and some of the darkest ignorance I have ever encountered.

I am thankful for the accident that was my birth on a continent in a country that is fruitful and where possibilities are limitless.

I am thankful that I did not grow up only to fall short like the 95% of students don't make it college here.

I am thankful that I was born in a a place of hard work, integrity, and education are the driving forces that will lead to the life that you wish to live.

I am thankful that the work I do here has some impact however small as it is.

I am thankful for the new and old friends that I have.

I am thankful that I was welcomed so warmly to our temporary home here in Kaedi.

I am thankful for the people who have cared enough to try and ensure that Kristy, myself, and the rest of the Gorgol has had an American meal in this place so far from home.

I am thankful for the love that I have found in my wife and that she is always there to support me.

Thank you friends and family for reading and supporting us through this.

1 comments:

R said...

Happy Thanksgiving you guys!