Saturday, July 12, 2008

A Horse With No Name

So I have some time... not much but we shall see.

My Host Family

Many people have asked us so I will break down my take. First off my new name is Jibril (The Archangel of Allah - Gabriel) and Kristy's name is Layla (Born at Night, Dark beauty). We live with a black moor family in a suburb of Rosso. Our dad is a taxi bruss driver and our mom is one of his 3 wives. There are 3 kids that live with us 2 boys and a girl. The kids are great, the dad is stoic, and the mom kinda ignores us a bit. We are considered adults so I think that they kinda just let us be. They are genuinely concerned for us and I think that they like us. Almost the whole family speaks French and we have our own room. The food is ok... sometimes, it is really oily and is often goat or mutton - it does not always agree with us.

Kristy and I are studying French for now and will move on to Hassānīya. This does not give us much of a hint for where our placement is going to be as they kinda use both of those languages all over Mauritania.

I promise more pictures as soon as I am able to take some. We have not shown our cameras to our host family. Mauritania's as a cultural aspect ask for gifts of things that they really like and our family has not asked yet... or I am a bad enough speaker that I have not figured out what they have said.



3 comments:

Donna Wood said...

Hello Brian and Kristy,
I am the mother of Chelsea, one of your compadres there in Mauritania. Thanks for including her picture in one of your posts - I will share it with the family! And if you see her, tell her I've been trying to call and keep getting a message in 3 languages!

Best of luck to you in your PC endeavors!

Donna Wood

Anonymous said...

what up B? Hows the heat? Lexi and Rex want to know if youhave seen any cheetahs.I started driving. Its a lot better than working in the plant. Hi Kristy. Email us at my moms email address until we get our computer going.
later, Rex and family

Anonymous said...

Well if anybody tells you they like your wife don't yo dare let them have her. :)